2018-26 - Horticulture Exports Program – Application for accreditation of orchards and packhouses for the export of avocados to Japan
4 July 2018
The purpose of this Industry Advice Notice (IAN) is to advise industry that applications are now open for accreditation of orchards and packhouses to export Hass avocado to Japan for the 2018 season.
Summary of changes and key points
- Only fresh avocado (Persea americana) fruit of the ‘Hass’ cultivar are permitted to be exported to Japan.
- Protocol conditions apply to Hass avocado sourced from officially recognised areas free from Queensland fruit fly (Qfly) in Western Australia and Riverland (South Australia).
- Japan recognises Tasmania to be free from both Qfly and Mediterranean fruit fly therefore exports of fresh avocado fruit of the ‘Hass’ cultivar from Tasmania are not subject to the Japan Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (MAFF) protocol requirements.
- Table 1 outlines due dates for the submission of applications and the audit period.
- Growers and packhouse managers must complete the attached application forms and email to Avocados Australia by the due date.
Table 1: Accreditation requirements, application due dates and audit dates
|Market||Orchard||Packhouse||Applications due to Avocados Australia||Applications due to the department||Audits commence|
|Japan||27 July 2018||6 August 2018||10 September 2018|
- Growers and packhouses intending to export avocado to Japan must be accredited prior to export by the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources.
- The avocado protocol is available in the ‘Documents’ section of the Manual of importing Country requirements (MICoR). To access these documents, you must be a registered MICoR Plant user.
- Growers and packhouses that wish to export Hass avocado to Japan during the 2018 export season must ensure that their respective applications are submitted to Avocados Australia before close of business 27 July 2018. Late submissions will not be accepted.
Grower and packhouse responsibilities
Growers and packhouses applying for accreditation will be audited by the department to ensure compliance with the relevant protocol and departmental requirements.
Some entities may be audited by the Japan MAFF.
Obligations for accredited properties can be found in the Guideline: Management of horticulture export accredited properties and the Guideline: Audit of horticulture export accredited properties.
Audits will commence from 10 September 2018. Applicants must be available on site during the audit and have the following records available, where applicable.
Table 2: Records required at the audit
|Good agriculture practices (GAPs) that include the following:
||Standard operation procedures (SOP) that include all processes related to:
If you have any questions regarding this IAN please email the Horticulture Exports Program.
Mr David Ironside
Plant Export Operations Branch