2018-47 - Business Systems Program – Plant Export Management System industry launch
18 October 2018
This Industry Advice Notice (IAN) is to advise stakeholders that from November 2018, the Plant Export Management System (PEMS) will be available for industry use.
Summary of changes and key points
- From November 2018, the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources will make PEMS available for industry use.
- Everything you need to know about PEMS can be found on the department’s Plant Export Management System webpage.
- The PEMS webpage has been updated to include new information about PEMS, Authorised Officer (AO) training dates and instructional material relevant to all users.
- For the first time:
- Exporters and EDI users will be able view their Request for Permits in PEMS and upload supporting documentation, post inspection, directly into the system (for inspections recorded in PEMS only).
- Export registered establishments will be able to view and download inspection records from inspections conducted at their establishment (for inspections recorded in PEMS only).
- External plant export AOs will be able to complete inspection records in PEMS and provide exporters with electronic copies of inspection documents.
- Clients and external AOs will be required to register for access to PEMS and will be notified via an IAN when registrations open.
- Clients and external AOs will be supported with user guides, factsheets and technical support.
- External AOs will be trained and assessed by the Authorised Officer Program’s Plant Export Assessors in stages between October 2018 and September 2019.
- Manual inspection documents will continue to be accepted during PEMS outages or maintenance shutdowns, where the AO has not yet been trained and registered in PEMS or where PEMS does not support particular plant export inspection records.
- The availability of PEMS for industry aims to streamline the plant export inspection documentation process for clients and external AOs by reducing the need for manual submission and processing of inspection documentation.
PEMS is an IT system that is used to capture and store information relating to the export of plants and plant products from Australia, including inspection results for plant export product and transport units.
Currently, PEMS only allows departmental AOs to enter and submit inspection results and any supporting documentation.
If you have any questions regarding PEMS please email the PEMS Administrator.
If you have any questions regarding AO training and assessment please email Plant Export Training.
Plant Export Operations Branch