2019-64 - Plant Export Operations – Changes to the registered establishment (RE) policy
17 December 2019
This Industry Advice Notice (IAN) is to advise stakeholders of the new policy for the management and audit of plant export registered establishments.
Summary of changes and key points
- New policies on the management and audit of plant export registered establishments are now available on the Plant Export Operations Manual (PEOM).
- The policies will come into effect from 17 February 2020.
- Changes will affect:
- horticulture protocol treatment facilities
- horticulture establishments handling fruit fly pest free area (PFA) product outside the PFA
- all plant export registered establishments in relation to audit scoring.
- The following documents have been created or updated as part of the new policy:
- Guideline: Management of plant export registered establishments
- Guideline: Audit of plant export registered establishments
- Reference: Performance standards for plant export registered establishments
- Reference: Registered operation and function codes for plant export registered establishments
- Reference: Application for registration as a horticulture export treatment facility
- Reference: Application to handle fruit fly pest free area (PFA) horticulture product outside a PFA
- Reference: Performance standards – methyl bromide fumigation – horticulture exports
- Sulfur dioxide/Carbon dioxide fumigation methodology
- Reference: Performance standards – sulfur dioxide/carbon dioxide fumigation – horticulture exports
- Volume 7: Registration of establishments for export and Volume 17: Registered establishment audit and performance standards will be rescinded and removed from the PEOM on 17 February 2020.
- To assist in communicating the changes a factsheet is available here.
- There will be a transition period before the new policy comes into force.
- During the transition period the Horticulture Exports Program will be moving approved treatment functions from accredited properties to registered establishments.
- From 17 February 2020, industry must comply with the new policy.
- Further information on the specific changes can be found in the factsheet.
The registered establishment policy has been updated following changes to the way in which horticulture protocol treatment facilities are managed. The audit scoring system that determines the audit outcome and audit frequency has changed to align with other departmental audit policies and provide improved outcomes in ensuring compliance with requirements.
Registered establishment responsibilities
Registered establishments should read and comply with the new policy from 17 February 2020.
Auditors are required to audit establishments according to the new policy from 17 February 2020.
If you have any questions regarding this IAN please email the relevant program below:
- For enquiries on horticulture treatments or handling PFA product: Horticulture Exports Program
- For enquiries on ECGS, QSR, mobile bulk loading or ARGT: Grain and Seed Exports Program
- For enquiries on general establishment registration: Business Systems Program
- For enquiries on audits: Audit and Assurance Group
A/g Assistant Secretary
Plant Export Operations Branch