2020-75 - Plant Export Operations – Requirements for non-GM certification to India
14 December 2020
This Industry Advice Notice (IAN) is to advise exporters that from 1 March 2021, some plant products destined for India will require a government-issued non-genetically modified (non-GM) certificate.
Summary of changes and key points
- Effective 1 March 2021, certain plant products to India will require a government issued non-GM certificate (see Annexure 1 for full list).
- The Office of the Gene Technology Regulator (OGTR) has provided us with the required evidence for these commodities to ensure non-GM certificates can be issued.
- Exporters should contact the Plant Exports National Documentation Hub to request a non-GM certificate.
- Relevant Micor Plants entries will be updated to comply with the new requirement.
- On 2 September 2020, Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) issued notification G/TBT/N/IND/168 for comment on requirements for non-GM certificates for commodities listed in Annexure 1.
- Australia has provided comment to FSSAI regarding this notice, requesting reconsideration. However, unless otherwise advised, Australia expects the requirement will be implemented.
- Where an importing country requires government non-GM certification for plant products as a condition of entry, we may issue a ‘non-GM certificate’ to exporters in the form of a Declaration and Certificate as to Condition (EX188) if the following conditions are met
- non-GM certification is an official requirement of the importing country authority.
- the commodity’s non-GM status in Australia is supported by advice provided to the department by the OGTR.
- the goods for export are single ingredient plant products of Australian origin.
- the request for certification is made prior to the departure of the goods from Australia.
Exporters should access the latest importing country requirements from the Micor Plants database and have a valid import permit to determine if a non-GM certificate is required for a particular commodity.
Plant Export Operations Branch
|3||Argentina Canola||Brassica napus|
|7||Eggplant (Brinjal)||Solanum melongena|
|8||Flax seed||Linum usitatissimum L.|
|14||Polish canola||Brassica rapa|
|17||Safflower||Carthamus tinctorius L.|
|20||Sugar beet||Beta vulgaris|
|22||Sweet pepper||Capsicuum annuum|