2021-14 - Indonesia Country Recognition Arrangement – Update on renewal status of Indonesia Country Recognition Arrangement
22 April 2021
This Industry Advice Notice (IAN) is to advise Australian plant and plant product industry stakeholders on the status of Australia’s Country Recognition Agreement (CRA) with Indonesia.
Summary of key points
- Australia’s Country Recognition Agreement (CRA) with Indonesia, which recognises Australia’s food safety systems for fresh food of plant origin is due to expire on 27 April 2021.
- On 16 October 2020, the Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment submitted Australia's application for the renewal of the CRA to Indonesia and provided subsequent information requested by Indonesia in November 2020 and March 2021.
- Indonesia’s Ministry of Agriculture (MoA) has advised that their Expert Panel provided its recommendation for signature to their Minister on 26 March 2021 and expect an outcome before 26 April 2021.
- We have sought MoA’s agreement to establish transitional arrangements to allow trade to continue under the current CRA, should it expire prior to finalising the renewed agreement.
- We have been advised that any goods dispatched from Australia on or before 26 April 2021 can still be imported into Indonesia under CRA arrangements.
- In the event that transitional arrangements are not agreed prior to expiry of the current CRA, trade may be impacted. Product may be stopped at the border and could be subject to additional testing requirements.
- We continue to seek urgent advice from MoA and will issue further advice should the CRA not be renewed on time.
Australia’s CRA arrangement with Indonesia allows listed fresh food of plant origin to be exported to Indonesia with reduced testing/inspection, and preferential port access.
Australia’s CRA with Indonesia was first established in 2009 and has been continuously renewed every three (3) years as per Indonesia’s ministerial decree requirements.
If you have any questions regarding this IAN please email Plant Market Access.
Plant Export Operations Branch