Japan apple juice quota
The Department of Agriculture and Water Resources manages 8 Japan quotas including apple juice. These quotas were put in place by the Japan–Australia Economic Partnership Agreement (JAEPA).
Australian exporters can export 1,600 tonnes of apple juice at reduced tariff rates through this quota.
- Quotas are issued on a first-come, first-served (FCFS) basis with the quota year running in line with the Japanese financial year: 1 April to 31 March.
- Tariff rate cuts vary depending on the product.
- Tariff rate cuts reaching zero tariff after 10 years (i.e. by 2024).
Key dates to remember
10 March—Department accepts applications for the new quota year
1 April—New quota year commences
31 March—Quota year ends
Current quota usage
The quota usage tables show the total quantity of quota shipped by Australia for JAEPA products. The tables are updated once a week.
Apply for a JAEPA quota certificate for apple juice
To receive a quota certificate for a consignment of apple juice to Japan you will need to:
To complete your application you may need to refer to the eligible AHECC codes.
- Once the application is approved, the Quota Unit will email the quota certificate directly to you.
- If a quota certificate needs to be altered, you must notify the Quota Unit. A new quota certificate will be required if there is a change to the exporter, importer, product type or quantity of product. The original certificate will be cancelled and a new certificate will be issued and emailed to you.
Historical quota usage
The Export Control (Japan–Australia Economic Partnership Agreement Tariff Rate Quotas) Order 2016 governs the rules around quota for non-prescribed goods to Japan. Exporters should be familiar with this order.
Background to JAEPA
JAEPA eliminates or reduces barriers to trade in goods between Japan and Australia. JAEPA entered into force on 15 January 2015. More information on the broader outcomes of the agreement can be found on the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade’s website .
The Quota Unit collects and manages the data presented on this website for commercial and government use.
Get updates about Japan quotas directly by joining our subscription list. Simply email the Quota Unit with your name and the word ‘subscribe’ in the heading.
For queries or assistance with the JAEPA apple use quota, contact the Quota Unit:
Phone: 02 6272 4068