Independent review of the cost of export certification
Pending – further information will be uploaded shortly.
Stakeholder feedback period now closed
The stakeholder feedback period for the independent review has now closed.
We have commissioned an independent reviewer to undertake a review of the costs of our export certification activities. These costs are set out in the food and plant export Cost Recovery Implementation Statements (CRIS). This review will both complement and inform our public consultation on the CRISs.
We have engaged Ernst & Young to carry out the review.
The reviewer accepted contributions up to 22 November 2019.
The reviewer held meetings with various Industry Consultative Committee members. In addition, the reviewer held meetings with other interested parties, and received written feedback via email.
Ernst & Young delivered their report in March 2020.
This review focused on food and plant export cost recovery. It did not include the live animal exports CRIS.
The independent reviewer:
- engaged with industry representatives for their views on how efficiently and effectively we deliver food and plant export certification regulatory functions
- investigated key cost drivers and consider other ways we can deliver our key regulatory functions more cost effectively
- assessed possible reported or discovered inefficiencies and recommend how we can improve our regulatory functions, including the use of technology solutions
- developed a benchmarking framework based on comparable public and private sector regulatory activities.
The review will consider other relevant reviews, analysis and policies. This will include:
- importing country requirements
- the Australian Government Cost Recovery Guidelines
- the government’s policy to achieve and maintain full cost recovery of export certification activity
- our broader policy and regulatory obligations
- relevant analysis and costings of our cost recovery arrangements
- Australian National Audit Office (ANAO) and industry commissioned reports from 2015.
About the reviewer
Dean Yates is a Partner and Victorian Government Leader for Ernst & Young. To learn more about Dean visit the Ernst & Young website.