179-2019 - Commencement of 2019-20 Burnt Pine Longicorn (BPL) flight season measures for vessels
6 November 2019
Who does this notice affect?
This notice is of interest to relevant international vessel masters and shipping agents.
What has changed?
The Department of Agriculture (the department) will commence its annual heightened surveillance regime for managing the risks posed by Burnt Pine Longicorn (BPL) beetles on vessels departing from New Zealand from midnight, 24:00 hours (NZST) on 6 November 2019.
After the submission of pre-arrival reporting by vessel masters or shipping agents, the Maritime Arrivals Reporting System (MARS) will email a BPL Questionnaire to targeted vessels.
The Maritime National Coordination Centre (MNCC) will then advise, through the Biosecurity Status Document (BSD) issued from MARS, if a BPL inspection or any specific biosecurity risk mitigation measures are required.
The department requests vessel masters and crew to remain vigilant for BPL and advise the department, as soon as possible, of any suspected detections of BPL. Early detection and accurate reporting of pests prior to arrival assists in managing the risk offshore where possible and minimises the level of intervention by the department for vessel arrival.
What to look for
The BPL beetle is likely to enter Australia on vessels, imported timber or machinery and other cargo from New Zealand. Look for adult beetles seeking shelter in dark secluded areas during daylight and in imported cargo or vessels. Adults are active from dusk to dawn and are attracted to light.
The department has developed a BPL webpage to assist vessel masters and crew to detect BPL.
See Secure Report
If you see this BPL pest or any other pest that you think may have hitchhiked to Australia, contain it, where possible and immediately report it to the Department of Agriculture on 1800 798 636 or via contact with a shipping agent. For your safety, ask to consult a Department of Agriculture entomologist before handling specimens.
The department will issue a notification for the conclusion of the BPL flight season in 2020.
For further information or assistance about the 2019-20 BPL season:
- Arriving vessels – contact the department’s MNCC by email to the MNCC or phone 1300 004 605 (in Australia) or +61 8 8201 6185 (outside Australia).
- Information on pre-arrival reporting for maritime vessels can be found on the department’s website under Vessels.
- Commodities that are imported under the following BICON cases are also affected:
- Timber and timber products
- Logs, log cabins and oversized timber
- BPL affected timber from New Zealand
- Commodity import requirements for affected commodities - refer to BICON or contact Plant Import Operations, or telephone 1800 900 090.