88-2020 - Recurring issues in the importation of biological products
18 June 2020
Who does this notice affect?
This notice is of interest to importers of biological products and associated industry participants
What has changed?
The department has noticed some recurring issues in the importation of biological products. The following information will assist importers to address those issues and minimise delays in the border clearance process.
Biological products include:
- diagnostic kits
- laboratory materials
- human & animal fluids and tissues
- environmental samples (inc. soil and water)
Biosecurity import permit
Most biological products require a biosecurity import permit from the Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment (DAWE).
You must have a valid import permit before your goods arrive in Australia. If a permit is required and your products arrive without one, you will likely be directed to export or destroy them. If all permit conditions, including documentary requirements, are not met when your goods arrive in Australia, you may be directed to export or destroy them, or there could be significant delays.
Find out more about import conditions on the department’s Biosecurity Import Conditions database (BICON).
Help for new importers
The import process can seem difficult, particularly for new importers. This can be complicated by factors such as urgency of importation and special handling and storage requirements for biological products.
If you are unfamiliar with Australia’s import processes, the department recommends that you use a customs broker or courier who is experienced with your type of products, to help you navigate the transport and documentary requirements for your consignments.
Find out more about how to import goods to Australia.
You should also check if other regulatory requirements must be met before you import to Australia.
- DAWE: Imported food inspection scheme
- Australian Border Force: How to import
- DAWE: International wildlife trade
- Office of the Gene Technology Regulator: Importation Requirements
- Therapeutic Goods Administration: Importing therapeutic goods
- National Industrial Chemicals Notification and Assessment Scheme: Getting started
- Department of Health: Bringing in or exporting human remains
- Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority: Importing agricultural or veterinary chemicals
If you require further information, please call 1800 900 090 or email Imports.