Nutrition and Foods for Special Dietary Uses
Codex Committee on Nutrition and Foods for Special Dietary Uses (Host Government – Germany)
The Codex Committee on Nutrition and Foods for Special Dietary Uses (CCNFSDU) studies nutritional issues referred by the Codex Alimentarius Commission. It also develops guidelines, general principles and standards for food including food with special dietary uses.
Existing Codex Standards
Standards relating to nutrition and foods for special dietary uses* that have been endorsed and adopted into the international food code:
- Canned Baby Foods
- Formula Foods for Use in Weight Control Diets
- Formula Foods for Use in Very Low Energy Diets for Weight Reduction
- Formulated Supplementary Foods for Older Infants and Young Children
- General Principles for the Addition of Essential Nutrients to Foods
- Guidelines on Vitamin and Mineral Food Supplements
- Infant Formula
- Labelling of and Claims for Prepackaged Foods for Special Dietary Use
- Labelling of and Claims for Foods for Special Medical Purposes
- Nutrition Labelling
- Processed Cereal–Based Foods for Infants and Children
- Use of Nutrition Claims.
* This is an indicative list only. For a full list of standards approved by the Codex Alimentarius Commission, please consult its Official List of Standards.
The 38th Session of the Codex Committee on Nutrition and Foods for Special Dietary Uses was held in Hamburg, Germany from 5-9 December 2016.
Matters for Adoption by the 40th Session of the Commission
The Committee agreed to forward the following items to the Commission for adoption:
- Proposed amendments to Section 6, paragraph 33 of the nutritional risk analysis principles
- Editorial amendments to the Guidelines on Nutritional Labelling
- Editorial amendments to various CCNFSDU standards: flavourings
- NRV-R for vitamins D and E and the conversion factors for vitamin E equivalents (Step 5/8 and 8)
Matters referred to other Committees
Codex Committee on Methods of Analysis and Sampling (CCMAS)
Requested advice from CCMAS on Methods of Analysis provisions in the Standard for infant formula and formulas for special medical purposes intended for infants
The 39th Session of the Committee has been scheduled to be held in Germany in 12 months time with an exact date and location to be agreed between the Codex Secretariat and the Host Country Secretariat.