Agricultural Chief Scientist
The Agricultural Chief Scientist provides leadership and coordination on departmental science activities and high-level independent advice to senior executives and government on matters relating to science, technology and innovation.
The Agricultural Chief Scientist has a scientific leadership role including:
- Coordinating relationships with internal and external science stakeholders
- working to strengthen the department’s scientific credibility and integrity
- working to increase the department’s scientific capability
- ensuring that high-quality science remains an integral part of the evidence base used in departmental decision-making.
The Agricultural Chief Scientist represents the Australian government in:
- The Group of Twenty (G20) Meeting of Agricultural Scientists (G20 MACS)
- International Agriculture Research and Development Group
- Other scientific groups as required.
- Provide leadership and coordination to science activities
- Ensure the updating of the department’s Science Strategy and action plan.
- Host the National Science Exchange Conference for staff development
- Lead the activities of the International Agricultural Research and Development Coordination Group
- Provide support and coordination to the CSIRO–Department strategic research agreement
- Champion the department’s Science and Innovation Awards
- Represent Australia in international forums e.g. at the Meeting of Agricultural Chief Scientists (MACS), as part of the Group of Twenty (G20) international forum for cooperation on global economic governance annual meetings.
About the G20 MACS
The Meeting of the G20 Agricultural Chief Scientists (MACS) is an initiative that was endorsed by G20 Leaders under Mexico’s G20 presidency.
In total, nine G20 MACS meetings have been held in Mexico (2012), Russia (2013), Australia (2014), Turkey (2015), China (2016), Germany (2017), Argentina (2018), Japan (2019) and Saudi Arabia (2020), each with a particular focus.
National Science Exchange
The department's annual National Science Exchange conference has been hosted by the Agricultural Chief Scientist. It allows effective dialogue and exchange between departmental and external scientists and is a catalyst for driving collaborative scientific partnerships.