Review of the Australian Standards for the Export of Livestock
The Australian Standards for the Export of Livestock (ASEL) version 2.3 was reviewed in 2018/19 by a Technical Advisory Committee consisting of an independent chair and experts in animal health and welfare, regulatory design and the livestock industry.
The outcome of the review included 83 recommendations and these, along with feedback from stakeholder consultation, were used to update the ASEL.
ASEL 3.0 commenced on 1 November 2020 and includes:
- Increases to the time required for some livestock to be prepared at the registered premises.
- Changes to the notifiable mortality rate for livestock and the requirements for notification.
- A new definition of voyage length with related changes for personnel, bedding and feed requirements.
- Inclusion and extension of additional management plans for sea and air.
- New general requirements, and species-specific requirements for standards 1, 3, 5 and 6.
Sea voyages review
The review of livestock exported by sea was finalised in March 2019. Consultation on implementing certain sea review recommendations closed 18 November 2019.
During the review, the committee consulted on:
- proposed reformatted standards and a draft workplan
- an issues paper [PDF, 2.3 MB] and a draft reformatted standards
- a draft report [PDF, 2.1 MB] and further working draft of the reformatted standards.
Air journey review
The review of livestock exported by air was finalised in October 2019. Consultation on implementing certain air review recommendations closed 29 November 2019.
During the review the committee consulted on:
NB: Some of the webinar content has been superseded.
In May and June 2020, we hosted a series of webinars on ASEL 3.0 changes. The webinars included information on the process for varying approved application types to ensure compliance with ASEL 3.0.
To find out more, including information on updates since the webinars were hosted, email ASELreview@awe.gov.au.
If you have difficulty accessing these files, please visit web accessibility.