Review of the Australian Standards for the Export of Livestock
The review of the Australian Standards for the Export of Livestock (ASEL) is now complete. ASEL 3.0, published in April 2020, incorporates:
- the review’s recommendations
- feedback from stakeholders during consultation.
The legislated enforcement date of the ASEL 3.0 is planned for 1 November 2020. All livestock exported on or after this date must comply with the ASEL 3.0. Until then, exporters must comply with the ASEL 2.3.
Find out how transitioning from ASEL 2.3 to ASEL 3.0 will affect you.
We have committed to a major review of ASEL every 3 years and to make necessary updates annually.
Technical Advisory Committee
The department appointed a Technical Advisory Committee to conduct the ASEL review.
The committee included an independent chair and experts in animal health and welfare, regulatory design and the livestock industry:
- Mr Steve McCutcheon – independent chair
- Dr Teresa Collins – animal health and welfare expert
- Dr Hugh Millar – animal health and welfare expert
- Mr Kevin Shiell – livestock export industry expert
- Mr Russell Phillips – regulation and standards development expert
The sea and air reviews made 83 recommendations and 15 other amendments in total. We supported all recommendations either in whole or in principle.
Sea voyages review
The review of livestock exported by sea was finalised in March 2019. Consultation on implementing certain sea review recommendations closed 18 November 2019.
During the review, the committee consulted on:
- proposed reformatted standards and a draft workplan
- an issues paper and a draft reformatted standards
- a draft report and further working draft of the reformatted standards.
Air journey review
The review of livestock exported by air was finalised in October 2019. Consultation on implementing certain air review recommendations closed 29 November 2019.
During the review the committee consulted on:
We sought feedback on the format of ASEL from a wide range of users. We held a face to face workshop and ran a survey from 8 July 2019 to 9 August 2019. The survey asked users to identify issues with the format of ASEL and suggest improvements for consideration in future ASEL formats.
The survey results helped us develop two new format options for the ASEL.
We sought feedback on the two new format options for the ASEL via Have Your Say from 16 September 2019 to 27 September 2019.