We conduct regular reviews of the live animal export trade. Our aim is to improve animal welfare in livestock exports. Recommendations from these reviews inform our policy and standards development.
We also consider feedback from:
- industry stakeholders
- independent reviews
- scientific literature.
- Live sheep exports by sea to, or through, the Middle East during the Northern Hemisphere summer.
- Heat and cold stress in Bos taurus cattle from southern Australia during long-haul export by sea
ASEL updates We review the Australian Standards for the Export of Livestock (ASEL) regularly. We update the standards to ensure they reflect:
- industry and regulatory developments
- the latest science and evidence.
Independent reviews of livestock exports guide our reform activities. They help us create better export conditions, standards and regulations. This leads to improved health and welfare of exported livestock.
- See previous review Reforming live animal exports.
- GPO Box 858, Canberra ACT 2601 Australia