4 March 2021
This Industry Advice Notice (IAN) is to advise that the new plant export legislation webpage has been launched in preparation for the commencement of the Export Control Act 2020 (the Act) and Export Control (Plants and Plant Product) Rules 2021 (plant rules) on 28 March 2021.
Summary of changes and key points
- New plant export legislation commences at 3 am AEDT on 28 March 2021.
- We have published a new plant export legislation webpage. It provides an overview of the new legislation and what it means for:
- Authorised officers
- Registered establishments
- Accredited properties
- Norfolk Island exporters.
- Factsheets are available on the webpage that provide more information on what is changing.
- We are updating instructional material, training, forms, records, templates and systems for the commencement of the new legislation. We will be progressively publishing updated material on the Plant Export Operations Manual (PEOM) and Certificates, declarations and forms webpage
- Industry advice notices will not be published each time new instructional material is published.
Responsibilities of authorised officers, registered establishments, accredited properties and exporters
- Industry participants must read the plant export legislation webpage and follow specific instructions on process changes for commencement of the new export legislation on 28 March 2021.
- Industry participants must check the PEOM regularly for updated instructional material prior to 28 March 2021.
- Industry participants must become familiar with updated instructional material before the new legislation commences.
- The updated instructional material must not be followed until 28 March 2021.
- The current agricultural export legislation is due to expire on 1 April 2021. We have developed improved agricultural export legislation for Australia in consultation with industry.
- The plant rules are subordinate to the Act and set the specific requirements for the export of plants and plant products.
- The draft plant rules went through two rounds of public consultation between 18 May and 26 June 2020, and 7 September and 5 November 2020.
- Please refer to IAN 2020-24, IAN 2020-33, IAN 2020-58 and IAN 2021-04 for further information.
If you have any questions regarding this IAN please email Plant Export Reform.
Plant Export Operations Branch