Australia’s livestock traceability arrangements are vital to the ongoing health and success of our agricultural sector. The Australian Government is committed to their continuous improvement.
The National Livestock Identification System (NLIS) plays an important role in ensuring livestock movement information is captured to allow for lifetime traceability. This assists governments and industry to respond to animal disease outbreaks or food safety incidents.
The NLIS Database Uplift is a whole-of-system project benefitting Australia’s red meat and livestock industries. The project is being delivered by Integrity Systems Company (ISC) and will provide:
- a contemporary, fit-for-purpose national livestock traceability platform that is better placed to be able to meet current and future biosecurity and market access requirements.
- a modernised data capture, storage, and distribution platform for tracking livestock, including improved usability, functionality (including capacity), and reporting/analytics capabilities, and
- an adaptive platform that can accommodate additional data inputs from other systems to assist in demonstrating emerging credentials such as sustainability and animal welfare.
The Australian Government awarded $22.5 million in grant funding to the project. Read the Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry’s statement on the project (15 September 2023).
Visit Integrity Systems for more information about the NLIS Database Uplift Project and opportunities to have your say.
NLIS Uplift Governance Group
The NLIS Uplift Governance Group (NUGG) has been established to provide project governance oversight and strategic direction to ensure the NLIS Database Uplift project is delivered in accordance with the agreed purpose, objectives, and outcomes.
The NUGG comprises representatives from the Australian Government, state and territory governments, industry bodies, and producers.
The role of the NUGG is to:
- set the strategic direction of project delivery in alignment with the discovery phases of the project
- provide high-level oversight of the project against defined objectives, deliverables and milestones
- provide agreement of key documents, including key project documents and reports, and milestones
- make decisions about whether or not to proceed with system release
- review and monitor project risks and mitigation activities
- ensure the project is effectively engaging with stakeholders; and
- ensure decision-making is transparent and project progress is effectively communicated to stakeholders.
NUGG Terms of Reference
For more information about the NLIS Uplift Governance Group, please contact the NUGG Secretariat. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.