We have completed the draft report for Australian import conditions for whole egg, egg yolk, and egg white powder – draft review.
Steps to complete this risk analysis
When we do a risk analysis, we:
- start the risk analysis by reviewing the science on pests and diseases of concern
- assess and analyse biosecurity risks
- develop proposed risk management measures
- consult the public on the draft report and then review comments
- publish a final report
- develop import conditions
- publish import conditions in our Biosecurity Import Conditions System (BICON)
Make a submission
We have now released a draft report for public comment.
You are invited to:
- read the draft report available on the Have Your Say page
- submit your feedback through Have Your Say.
This consultation will be open for 60 calendar days. Submissions closes at 5pm (AEST) Monday 3 July 2023.
We will review your comments when we prepare the final report.
About the draft report
We propose that imports of egg powder be allowed from approved countries. All imports must meet the agreed biosecurity import conditions.
The draft report details:
- diseases of biosecurity concern for this commodity
- risk assessments for the identified diseases of biosecurity concern.
The diseases that need risk management measures are:
- avian orthoavulavirus 1 (AOAV-1)
- avian influenza virus (AIV)
Proposed risk management measures include:
This review recommends the existing import conditions continue to be accepted and the following new heat treatment requirements be added as alternative options:
Whole egg and egg yolk powder conditions:
- Require heat treatment of the product by
- Pasteurisation of liquid whole egg and egg yolk for a minimum of 65°C for 6 minutes.
Egg white powder conditions:
- Require heat treatment of the product after spray-drying by ‘hot-boxing’ for a minimum of 65°C for 5 days.
Our public consultation will close on Monday 3 July 2023.
After this we will:
- consider all feedback
- develop a final report.
We will then release the final report and publish any new import conditions on BICON. Register in BICON to receive an alert when we publish the import conditions.
Register as a stakeholder
Register as a stakeholder to receive notices about animal biosecurity policy.
For more information about this review email Animal Biosecurity.
Learn more about why we carry out risk analyses and our international obligations.