Grain and Plant Products Export Industry Consultative Committee
The Grain and Plant Products Export Industry Consultative Committee (the Committee) is the principal forum for the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources (the department) to consult with grain, fodder, nuts, seed and timber industries on export inspection and certification, export market access and other relevant issues. The Committee aims to provide effective consultation, communication and partnership between the department and industry stakeholders involved in phytosanitary exports by ensuring stakeholders’ views are given due consideration. The department's Grain and Seed Exports Program only introduces major policy or operational changes after the Committee has been consulted. However, the Committee recognises that final responsibility for decision–making on phytosanitary matters rests with the department , which has statutory responsibilities under the Export Control Act 1982 and its subordinate legislation.
The terms of reference for the Committee are as follows:
Within the framework of the Government’s policies and legislation delivered by the department that relate to the export inspection and certification of grain, fodder, nuts, seeds and timber, the Committee will be the primary consultative body for:
- providing input on cost recovery options and finance matters specifically fees and charges and predicted tonnages for export
- discussing export inspection and certification issues affecting industry and solutions to address these issues
- discussing the performance of departmental programs
- communicating outcomes of the Committee’s work to relevant export industries.
The Committee will consider:
- strategic directions for the Grain and Seed Export Program ensuring Australia meets its obligations to the International Plant Protection Convention
- significant proposed changes to policy and operational procedures
- program budgets, cost recovery mechanisms and charge levels
- key program performance issues such as efficiency and effectiveness indicators.
but will not consider:
- individual commercial concerns of Committee members
- basic operational issues
- authorisation of expenditure or commitment of funds.
Membership of the Committee includes representatives of commodity sectors regulated by the Grain and Seed Export Program. While membership is expected to change as the industry itself changes, it currently includes:
- Australian Fodder Industry Association: Mr John McKew
- Australian Forest Products Association: Mr Victor Violante
- Australian Grain Exporters’ Association: Mr Ian Desborough and Mr Adrian Reginato
- Australian Mungbean Association: Mr Andrew Boundy
- Australian Nut Industry Council: Mr Chris Joyce
- Australian Oilseed Federation: Mr Nick Goddard
- Australian Seed Federation: Mr Bill Fuller
- Pulse Australia: Vacant
- Ricegrowers’ Association of Australia: Ms Bronwyn Sigmund
- Grain Growers Ltd: Mr Luke Matthews
- Grain Producers Australia Ltd: Mr Barry Large
- Grain Trade Australia Ltd: Mr Pat O’Shannassy and Gerard McMullen
- Eastern bulk handlers and port operators: Jason Shanley
- Southern bulk handlers and port operators: Mr Andrew Hannon
- Western bulk handlers and port operators: Ms Debra Pedley
The Committee aims to meet three times per year. Additional face to face meetings or teleconferences may be held if urgent issues arise.
- 19 February 2015 Meeting Update
- 10 November 2014 Meeting Update
- 31 July 2014 Meeting Update
- 27 March 2014 Meeting Update
- 14 November 2013 Meeting Update
- 11 July 2013 Meeting Update
- 1 March 2013 Meeting Update
For further information about the Committee, email the Secretariat or phone +61 2 6272 3229.