Natural sausage casings
We have started a risk analysis for the import of natural sausage casings for human consumption.
Steps to complete this risk analysis
When we do a risk analysis, we:
- start the risk analysis by reviewing the science on pests and diseases of concern
- assess and analyse biosecurity risks
- develop proposed risk management measures
- consult the public on the draft report and then review comments
- publish a final report
- develop import conditions
- publish import conditions in our Biosecurity Import Conditions System (BICON).
About the risk analysis
This risk analysis will review the existing import conditions for natural sausage casingsfor human consumption. These conditions were established under the 1999 import risk assessment ‘Importation of Sausage Casings into Australia’.
We will consider:
- the effectiveness of salt and phosphate supplemented salt against diseases of concern
- changes in the global distribution of some diseases
- new and relevant peer-reviewed scientific information
- changes in industry practices and operational practicalities.
We are now preparing a draft report. This will:
- identify potential biosecurity risks
- propose appropriate risk management measures where available.
Learn more about why we carry out risk analyses and our international obligations.
For more information about this review email Animal Biosecurity.