Importing live animals and reproductive material
Not all live animals and reproductive materials are permitted to be imported into Australia; the pest or disease risks associated with their importation may be considered too great.
The links below provide the import conditions and quarantine requirements for pet animals that currently can be imported into Australia.
- Birds – Selected species from New Zealand only
- Cats – import via approved countries only
- Dogs – import via approved countries only
- Horses – approved countries only
- Rabbits – New Zealand only
Currently no other pet animals can be imported into Australia.
For more information see Unique or exotic pets.
Information and import conditions applicable to:
- Canine semen - New Zealand and all other approved countries
- Other reproductive material – semen and embryos
- Laboratory animals
- Live aquarium fish – freshwater and marine