Conditions for goods allowed into Australia are regulated by the Department of Agriculture. You can find out if your goods can be imported using the Biosecurity Import Conditions system (BICON).
The conditions relating to your goods may vary depending on the country of export or origin of the goods.
Special conditions apply to imports to Australia’s external territories including Christmas Island, Cocos (Keeling) Islands and Norfolk Island.
Imported foods are also monitored for compliance to the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code.
Import information on the following goods and locations is also available:
- biological products
- cats and dogs
- live animals and reproductive materials
- major resource and energy sector imports
- military equipment, vehicles and ration packs
- motor vehicles, motorcycles, machinery and tyres
- movement advice animal transport equipment
- plants and plant products
- timber, wooden articles, bamboo and related products
- timber and bamboo packaging
- vessels with timber components
- external territories