Importing live horses
Live horses can be imported into Australia from selected department approved countries only. To bring horses to Australia, they must meet all of the department's import conditions prior to export.
The Biosecurity Import Conditions system (BICON) provides the import conditions for all permitted live horse imports. Importation of live horses from some countries are not permitted into Australia and therefore may not be listed.
View BICON for further information.
The information below relates to the importation of live horses into Australia.
Notice to Industry
- Notice to Industry 15: Pregnancy status of mares/jennies at the time of export to Australia
- Notice to Industry 14: Policy on riding horses during post-arrival quarantine in Australia
- Notice to Industry 13: EVA vaccine shortage – implications for meeting Australian import conditions
- Notice to Industry 12: Pre Export Quarantine Facility Audit Frequency Policy
- Notice to Industry 11: Courier driver responsibilities – transport of samples from horses subject to biosecurity control
- Notice to industry 10: Cleaning contractors - biosecurity requirements
- Notice to Industry 9: Country-specific Appendix B certificates
- Notice to Industry 8: Horse importer responsibilities – from New Zealand and New Caledonia
- Notice to Industry 7: Veterinary therapeutics
- Notice to Industry 6: Visitors to the horse compound —biosecurity requirements
- Notice to Industry 5: Veterinarians—biosecurity requirements
- Notice to Industry 4: Grooms—biosecurity requirements
- Notice to Industry 3: Transport drivers—biosecurity requirements
- Notice to Industry 2: Freighter aircraft operations personnel—biosecurity requirements
- Notice to Industry 1: Horse importer responsibilities
Forms for import live horses
- 0.10 Form - Record of authorised persons collecting horses from the PEQ Mickleham horse compound at the end of the post arrival quarantine period
- 0.2 Form - Notice of Intent
3.9 Form - Record of persons authorised to attend to horses in the PEQ Mickleham horse compound during the post arrival quarantine period
Mickleham Post Entry Quarantine Facility
The Australian Government has invested in the future of Australia’s biosecurity system through the design and construction of a new post entry quarantine facility in Mickleham Victoria. The Mickleham Post Entry Quarantine Facility accepted its first intake of horses in November 2015. This new facility replaced the department’s existing quarantine facility for horses at Eastern Creek in NSW.
Email Horse Imports for more information on importing Live Horses.