Importing live horses
Live horses can be imported into Australia from selected department approved countries only. To bring horses to Australia, they must meet all of the department's import conditions prior to export.
The Biosecurity Import Conditions system (BICON) provides the import conditions for all permitted live horse imports. Importation of live horses from some countries are not permitted into Australia and therefore may not be listed.
View BICON for further information.
The information below relates to the importation of live horses into Australia.
Notice to Industry
- Notice to Industry 16: First point of entry standards for the arrival of horses into Australian seaports
- Notice to Industry 15: Pregnancy status of mares/jennies at the time of export to Australia
- Notice to Industry 14: Policy on riding horses at the Mickleham Post-Entry Quarantine Facility
- Notice to Industry 12: Pre-Export Quarantine Facility Audit and Recovery of Costs Policy
- Notice to Industry 11: Courier driver responsibilities – transport of samples from horses subject to biosecurity control
- Notice to industry 10: Cleaning contractors - biosecurity requirements
- Notice to Industry 9: Country-specific Appendix B certificates
- Notice to Industry 8: Horse importer responsibilities – New Zealand and New Caledonia
- Notice to Industry 7: Veterinary therapeutic kits
- Notice to Industry 5: Requirements for veterinarians at the Mickleham Post-Entry Quarantine Facility for horses
- Notice to Industry 4: Requirements for grooms accompanying and working with horses at the Mickleham post-entry quarantine facility
- Notice to Industry 3: Horse transport vehicle drivers and imported horses – biosecurity requirements
- Notice to Industry 2: Biosecurity requirements for aircraft operations personnel – imported horses
- Notice to Industry 1: Horse importer responsibilities
Forms for import live horses
- 0.10 Form - Record of persons nominated to collect horses from the Mickleham Post-Entry Quarantine Facility
- 0.2 Form - Notice of Intent
- 3.9 Form - Record of persons nominated to attend to horses at the Mickleham Post-Entry Quarantine Facility
Forms for transit or transhipment of horses
Mickleham Post Entry Quarantine Facility
The Australian Government has invested in the future of Australia’s biosecurity system through the design and construction of a new post entry quarantine facility in Mickleham Victoria. The Mickleham Post Entry Quarantine Facility accepted its first intake of horses in November 2015. This new facility replaced the department’s existing quarantine facility for horses at Eastern Creek in NSW.
Email Horse Imports for more information on importing Live Horses.