Apply today – we’re looking for graduates to join our Entry Level Professional Program
Our 2020 Entry Level Professional Program is now open for applications from graduates to be part of the ABARES story – Australia’s first–choice provider of integrated scientific and economic advice on the agricultural, fisheries, forestry and water sectors.
We are looking for individuals willing to relocate to Canberra next year (relocation assistance will be provided if applicable) who are graduates with an honours–level degree in economics or in the science disciplines of statistics, mathematics, modelling, spatial analyses, fisheries, forestry or ecological sciences. Postgraduate qualifications are highly desirable.
Candidates with undergraduate qualifications not at honours level, combined with relevant experience, and professionals who hold double degrees with strong science content, would also be well placed.
At ABARES, your knowledge and skills will be developed as you will be assigned to a team of highly experienced research economists, statisticians, applied mathematicians or scientists.
As a graduate in our Entry Level Professional Program, you will:
- have a single work placement in an integrated research environment
- undertake a six week project in another area of the department
- participate in a range of formal and on-the-job training activities designed to guide your career and provide you with the tools to develop as and APS officer and as a valuable member of the ABARES team including:
- presentation skills workshop
- ABARES specific seminars and conferences, including
National Outlook and Regional Outlook
- discussion groups
- observing an ABARES farm surveys collection
How to apply
You must meet eligibility requirements before lodging an application to be an ABARES Graduate. Please check that you:
- are an Australian citizen
- have completed an honours–level degree before commencement of the program**
- Postgraduate qualifications are highly desirable
- be willing to undergo and satisfy a police history check and be able to obtain and maintain a security clearance at the Baseline level
- be willing to undergo and satisfy a pre-employment medical assessment
- be willing to relocate to Canberra.
**Please note there is not a timeframe as to when you completed your degree. Although a minimum academic standard will not be set, grades will be taken into consideration as part of the assessment process
The application form is available in the current vacancies section of the Department’s job centre.
Applications must be received no later than 23 April 2019 at 11pm.
For more information, please contact Sharen Tolhurst, Assistant Director, Research Facilitation and Engagement Section, who is our Entry Level Professional Program coordinator on (02) 6272 2354 or email Grads.
Are you looking for a career in science and economics research? Would you want to be part of a team committed to excellence, innovation and creativity in research, which delivers rigorous, independent, high-quality, accessible scientific and economic analysis and data to inform policy and decision makers in government, industry and the communities we serve?
At ABARES, we look for highly skilled people who are able to work creatively and constructively with stakeholders and clients. The bureau is an ideal workplace for those who want to develop their research and analytical skills, build strong relationships, and work across a range of fields relating to the agriculture, fisheries and forestry portfolio.
We value professionalism, integrity, great minds and practical thinking. We offer rewarding working conditions and excellent remuneration. We encourage continuous learning and provide a wide range of development opportunities.
As a valued member of our team, you'll enjoy a rewarding work program, tailored to suit your skill set and career aspirations while meeting our program delivery needs. Your work will directly contribute to the evidence base for future policy development by the Australian Government.
Positions are advertised on the
Department’s jobs centre.
Think about a University Vacation Employment Program placement in ABARES
If you are currently study at university, we also offer places in the Department’s University Vacation Employment Program, held during January and February each year.
This program offers:
- 6-week work placement in a stimulating and challenging role, from early January to mid-February 2019
- employment at the APS Level 1 (currently $48,990), during which time you will be employed under the department’s Enterprise Agreement 2017–20
- experience working within a large, dynamic government agency
- opportunity to network with peers, professionals and researchers in your field of interest.
You must be a continuing university student and an Australian citizen to participate in the UVEP. You will be responsible for your own travel and accommodation arrangements during the six week program. No financial assistance for relocation will be provided.
Applications open in November each year through the
Department’s jobs centre.
Register for temporary employment
If you are interested in working for the bureau on a short-term or casual basis, you can register your interest on the Department’s
temporary employment register.