We offer a 12-month entry level professional program for graduate veterinarians.
We are one of Australia’s largest employers of veterinarians. Our stream within the Graduate Program aims to build your skills and career. In this program, you will support our national and international functions and responsibilities.
From day one, we’ll introduce you to the Australian Public Service (APS) and its processes. You’ll learn how we work with industry and government to support sustainable agriculture.
As a graduate, you will experience diverse workplace rotations. These may include both policy and operational work. Policy areas include setting international standards, animal health, and biosecurity.
As a veterinary graduate, you will:
- work as part of a team in a dynamic and collaborative environment
- work with, and learn from, experts in their field
- present your work to internal and external stakeholders
- visit parliament during Question Time and Senate Estimates
- attend Australian Public Service Commission graduate events
- extend your skills and knowledge through formal and on-the-job training activities
- complete the tailored graduate development program run by the APS Academy
- connect with our veterinary networks and a graduate buddy
- engage with our Senior Executive including the Australian Chief Veterinary Officer
Our program and training will develop your skills as a valuable veterinary officer within our department.
How to apply
Applications for the 2024 Veterinary Stream are open now!
For your application, you will submit a 500-word statement outlining:
- your reason for applying
- what personal qualities you will bring to the role
- how you intend to apply those qualities in a professional capacity.
You will also need to upload a copy of your CV and academic transcript.
Applications close on Wednesday, 6 September 2023.
Information about veterinary careers with the department
If you are interested in an exciting, challenging and rewarding career, we encourage you to consider the opportunities that the department can offer.
Read further information about veterinary career opportunities with the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry.