Climate change adaptation reduces the negative effects of climate change and allows farmers and other land managers to capitalise on the new opportunities it presents.
Adaptation is a shared responsibility. The government is working with Australian communities and industries to understand the implications of a changing climate, and take practical action to address key risks.
The government plays a key role in the provision of information and research funding to help farmers and other land managers prepare for and manage changes associated with climate change.
In relation to climate change adaptation:
- The Future Drought Fund is supporting Australian farm businesses and communities to be more resilient to the impacts of drought and increasing climate variability.
- This includes funding for the Climate Services for Agriculture program, which will help farm businesses plan for the impacts of future droughts and other climate risks by providing accessible and relevant climate information.
- The National Water Grid Authority is building water infrastructure that will strengthen drought resilience in our rural and regional communities.
- The National Landcare Program is providing a range of measures to support natural resource management, sustainable agriculture and to protect Australia’s biodiversity.
- The National Environmental Science Program is a long-term commitment by the Australian Government to fund environment and climate research.
- The National Soil Strategy sets out how Australia will value, manage and improve its soil for the next 20 years.
- The government provides an annual investment of around $1.1 billion in rural research and development through the Research and Development Corporations, Cooperative Research Centres, the CSIRO, universities, the R&D Tax Incentive and other programs.
- The Australian Bureau of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Sciences (ABARES) is the science and economics research division of the Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment, and undertakes research projects on climate change to advance the sector’s resilience.
- The Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment is working with the National Farmers Federation to deliver a webinar series to help build awareness of government initiatives which support climate resilience for farmers and land managers.
Climate Change Adaptation Links
- Australian Bureau of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Sciences (ABARES)
- Department of Agriculture Water and the Environment - Climate change adaptation and science
- CSIRO – Climate Adaptation Flagship
- Climate Change in Australia
- Climate Services for Agriculture
- Australian Climate Service
- National Climate Change Adaptation Research Facility (NCCARF)
- Climate Change Research Strategy for Primary Industries (CCRSPI)