Pet Food Safety
A Senate inquiry on the Regulatory approaches to ensure the safety of pet food released its findings in October 2018. A pet food review Working Group was established in November 2018 at the request of the then Minister for Agriculture and Water Resources the Hon. David Littleproud MP following a number of pet food safety incidents. The Working Group was tasked with reviewing the recommendations of the senate inquiry and the current regulatory system governing pet food and to consider options to manage the health and safety of pet food in Australia.
The Working Group membership consists of:
- The Australian Government Department of Agriculture
- The Australian Veterinary Association
- RSPCA Australia
- The Pet Food Industry Association of Australia
- New South Wales Department of Primary Industries
- Safe Food Production Queensland
- Victorian Department of Agriculture
- Australian Competition and Consumer Commission
- The Department of Industry, Innovation and Science
- The Department of Health
- Food Standards Australia New Zealand
Part of the process of the Working Group included commissioning of two reports – one on pet food safety and the other on pet food regulation. If you wish to receive a copy of these reports contact email@example.com.
The final report of the Pet Food Review Working Group is expected to be made publically available early in 2020.
Report of the previous Working Group
- Report of the SCoPI Pet Food Controls Working Group PDF [153 KB]
- Report of the SCoPI Pet Food Controls Working Group Word [145 KB]