To export goods as organic or bio-dynamic, you must meet all relevant export requirements. These requirements are set by Australian export laws and by the importing country.
Types of goods
These export requirements relate to any goods intended for export that are labelled or described, or ingredients that are labelled or described, as:
- other similar descriptions*
*This includes goods and/or ingredients that are described as ‘in conversion to organic or bio-dynamic’.
Find out more about Australian export laws for organic goods.
Importing country requirements
You must meet all conditions set by the importing country.
Prior to export:
- check our Manual of Importing Country Requirements (Micor)
- talk to the importing country authority
- check the organic export market access notices webpage.
Certified organic/bio-dynamic operators
You must use a certified organic/bio-dynamic operator to source, prepare and store your goods.
The organic/bio-dynamic operator must be certified. This certification must be issued by one of our approved certifying bodies.
You can also apply to become a certified organic/bio-dynamic operator.
Organic goods certificate
To export goods as organic or bio-dynamic, an organic goods certificate is required.
The organic goods certificate:
- ensures that Australian organic/bio-dynamic goods have been subject to a regulatory system that guarantees the organic/bio-dynamic production system underpinning the organic/bio-dynamic claims.
- provides assurance to the importing country that the goods have been produced in accordance with Australia’s organic export regulatory framework and importing country requirements,
- is a mandatory export certificate that is required for each consignment.
An organic goods certificate must be requested from an approved certifying body, prior to the export of the goods.
Other export laws
You may also need to comply with other Australian export laws. These are separate to the requirements for organic or bio-dynamic goods.
Check export requirements for:
- Dairy products
- Eggs and egg products
- Fish and fish products
- Live animals
- Meat and meat products
- Plants and plant products
Make sure the details in your organic goods certificate match all other export certification.