19 September 2022
This Industry Advice Notice (IAN) is to advise of updates to the application process for registration of food processing and storage facilities handling plant products intending to export to China.
Summary of changes and key points
- The advice in this notice updates information provided in IAN 2021-67.
- The information in this notice is specific to new applications for accounts to be created for registration as a food exporter with GACC.
- Food facility registration is required for the export of the following plant products to China:
- Edible grains
- Milled grain industry products and malt
- Fresh vegetables and dried beans
- Unroasted coffee beans and cocoa beans
- Nuts and seeds
- Products listed as requiring a registration must have market access to China to be able to be approved.
- The food facility registration and registration requirements for China do not apply to:
- fresh fruit orchards, fresh fruit packhouses and fresh fruit storage facilities.
- unprocessed wheat, barley and canola.
- Applications must be submitted to the Grain CIFER registrations Team for assessment and recommendation to GACC for registration.
- GACC must approve the application and register the facility before food products can be exported to China.
- GACC have specified labelling requirements for exported food products.
- The person in management and control of the processing or storage facility handling food products for export to China will need to complete the application.
- All facilities carrying out final processing steps or final storage prior to export must complete an application.
- A separate application must be submitted for each physical facility (location).
- Complete the application form ‘GSEP/HEP application for food processing and storage facilities handling product being exported to China’ provided at Attachment 1.
- Acceptable documentary evidence of food safety management system must be provided to support the application. Examples of acceptable documentary evidence includes:
- a state, territory or local council food business registration, licence, notification or accreditation number
- certification of third-party accredited food safety management system (for example, HACCP, BRC, SQF, Freshcare, GlobalGAP, ISO 22000)
- a department Registered Export Establishment certificate.
- Submit the completed application form and documentary evidence of your food safety management system by email to the Grain CIFER registrations team.
- Refer to Attachment 2 for further guidance on applying to be registered as a food processing or storage facility handling Article 7 products.
- Food products must have a label on inner packaging (smallest sale unit) and outer packaging (transport packaging) with either the facility’s
- competent authority issued registration number (that is, your department establishment number) or
- GACC issued registration number
- The registration number can be affixed using a stick-on/adhesive label for all food products, except foods for special dietary uses and health foods.
- GACC have reiterated that the ‘China registration number’ should be included on both inner and outer packaging labels.
- we have received advice that there is no set format for product labels, except that the labelling must be presented in a way that is easily distinguishable by Chinese customers.
- GACC have confirmed that the storage facility registration number is not required on the label. Only the food processing facility registration number should appear on the inner and outer label.
Note: The processing facility registration number on the label should be consistent with any other documentation or certification where the number has been provided.
Background information on this notice can be found in IAN 2021-41, IAN 2021-52, IAN 2021-53, IAN 2021-55, IAN 2021-58 and IAN 2021-67.
Information regarding China’s new requirements for imported food is also published at Have Your Say China’s new requirements for imported food.
Attachment 1: GSEP application for food facilities – China (XLSX 56 KB)
Attachment 2: Guidance on applying to be registered as a food processing or storage facility handling Article 7 products (DOCX 107 KB)
If you have difficulty accessing these files, visit web accessibility for assistance.
If you have any questions regarding this IAN please email the Grain CIFER registrations team
A/g Assistant Secretary
Plant Export Operations Branch