The Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry approves commercial, private and government sites for the purposes of holding certain types of material subject to biosecurity control. To gain this approval there are both containment and procedural requirements that must be met in the case of plant, animal, microbiological and invertebrate research facilities.
The department requires that sites conducting biosecurity containment activities under an approved arrangement must comply with the relevant design and construction aspects of the Australian/New Zealand Standards as applicable to:
- BC2 sites (classes 5.2.1, 5.2.2, 5.2.3, 5.2.4, 5.2.5): AS/NZS 2982:2010 (Laboratory Design and Construction), and AS/NZS 2243.3:2010 (Safety in Laboratories)
- BC3 sites (classes 5.3, 7.3) and BC4 sites (classes 5.4, 7.4): AS/NZS 2982.1:1997 (Laboratory Design and Construction), and AS/NZS 2243.3:2002 (Safety in Laboratories).
To determine if sites have met these Standards, a departmental approved third-party assessor must be engaged to undertake an assessment against the relevant standards.
Approved third party assessors
As at 6 December 2021
|Mr Richard W Sale||Sale Laboratory Architecture Consultancy Pty Ltd||Milton, QLD||0419 759 438|
|Mr Brad George||Norman, Disney & Young||Brisbane, QLD||0417 602 281|
|Mr Darren Green||Wood Australia Pty Ltd||Melbourne, VIC||0400 353 447|
|Mr Neil Walls||Neil Walls Consulting Pty Ltd||Ocean Grove, VIC||0437 557 515|
|Mr Stephen Coulter||Coulter Advisory Pty Ltd||Melbourne, VIC||0402 677 644|
|Mr Cameron Milne||Wood Australia Pty Ltd||Melbourne, VIC||0416 031 689|
|Mr Clive Jones||Kuttner Collins Pty Ltd||Sydney, NSW||02 9929 7411|
|Mr Mike Cover||COMTEQ Services Pty Ltd||Perth, WA||0400 378 101|
|Mr Jim Hargreaves||Jacobs||Melbourne, VIC||0438 344 043|
The list will be updated as more approved third-party assessors become available.
Disclaimer: The department is satisfied that the persons listed are suitably qualified to certify that the construction of infrastructure, equipment and other facilities at AA sites comply with the following Australian/New Zealand Standards as applicable to the relevant containment class:
- AS/NZS 2982.1:1997: Laboratory design and construction – Part 1: General requirements,
- AS/NZS 2243.3:2002: Safety in laboratories – Part 3: Microbiological aspects and containment facilities.
- AS/NZS 2982:2010 (Laboratory design and construction), and
- AS/NZS 2243.3:2010 ( Safety in laboratories).
The department and the Commonwealth of Australia shall not be liable for any negligent act or omission or wilful misconduct of any of the persons listed should you choose to enter into an agreement with them to undertake an assessment of your site.