United Arab Emirates: Reminder - New licensing and labelling requirements for milk and dairy products sold in the UAE (2019-18)
Date of issue: 28 October 2019
Date of effect: Immediate
Reference Number: MAA2019-18
- Industries- Industry Bodies – Dairy Australia
- Export dairy establishments
- Licensed exporters
- Department of Agriculture —Central and regional offices
- To remind dairy export registered establishments that the United Arab Emirates (UAE) has introduced new controls on the sale and distribution of certain milk and dairy products. The department understands that imported products must bear the ECAS Mark of Conformity prior to entering the UAE. This market access advice is to advise that active market surveillance is now in force.
Summary of key points
- The UAE Cabinet Decree No 29 of 2018 on Regulations for Control of Milk and Dairy Products came into effect on 22 May 2019.
- The decree introduced a mandatory registration system for milk and dairy products including yoghurt/flavoured yoghurt, trans-fatty acids, raw milk, flavoured milk, leben/flavoured leben, camel milk and goat milk sold in the UAE. An official label confirming product registration - the ECAS Mark of Conformity- must be applied to products before import into the UAE. Some products are exempt from this requirement, notably raw products intended for further processing, products with special medicinal use and infant formula.
- The department understands that imported products that do not bear the ECAS Mark of Conformity are not allowed to be distributed for sale in the UAE.
- Active market surveillance is now in force ensuring products conform with these requirements.
- Further information can be found in the Market Access Advice 2019-03 (MAA2019-03) or by contacting any of the ESMA-approved certification companies via email@example.com.
Please contact Export Standards if you have any queries.
The information provided in this advice is current at the time of writing and is intended for use as guidance only and should not be taken as definitive or exhaustive. The Commonwealth endeavours to keep information current and accurate, however, it may be subject to change without notice. Exporters are encouraged to verify these details with their importers prior to undertaking production/exports. The Commonwealth will not accept liability for any loss resulting from reliance on information contained in this notice.