Exporting dairy products from Australia
We regulate the export of dairy products from Australia. This ensures that goods:
- comply with export laws
- meet importing country requirements.
Laws and regulations
Regulation assures our trading partners that our goods are safe to import.
Our export laws define:
- types of products regulated (prescribed)
- your obligations, if you are involved in the export of regulated products.
We can help you understand your obligations under Australian export laws.
If you are a small to medium business owner, you can also check the Dairy Australia trade ready website.
Dairy Export Assurance Program
The department has received funding for three new projects aiming to reduce regulatory burden and streamlining audit arrangements in the dairy sector.
The projects are:
- Identifying the regulatory hurdles for domestic dairy manufacturers to become an approved establishment.
- Food safety in commercial assurance programs.
- Working towards reduced regulatory intervention through improved data.
Work will begin in 2020 and the department will provide progress updates to industry throughout the project.
Importing country requirements
You must meet all importing country requirements for your goods. This applies to everyone involved in the export supply chain.
Before you export:
- check our Manual of Importing Country Requirements (MICoR)
- talk to the importing country authority through your importer.
You are responsible for declaring prescribed goods are fit for export.
Make sure you meet all requirements for dairy exporters.
If you also manufacture or process dairy products for export, you must also register your establishment.
Export registered establishments
If you prepare or handle prescribed dairy products for export, you must register with us. This includes:
- dairy ingredient suppliers
- freight forwarders
- storage facilities
- those who store or load goods for export (excluding the wharf and airport terminal).
You are responsible for handling goods in line with export requirements. You may also generate export documents and certificates.
Read more about responsibilities of export registered establishments.
Online services and systems
You must register in our Export Documentation System (EXDOC) to link your name and details in export documents.
Check the Manual of Importing Country Requirements (MICoR) for an updated list of export requirements from specific importing countries.
Check our industry notices and advices.
We use these to tell you about changes to:
- laws and regulations
- market access conditions
- operational requirements.
Other government agencies and industry bodies can also help you get export ready.
Fees and charges
Our fees and charges are available in our charging guidelines.