Malaysia: re-instatement of Islamic Coordinating Council of Victoria as a recognised halal certifying body (2019-26)
Date of issue: 24 December 2019
Date of effect: Immediate
Reference Number: MAA2019-26
- Industries — Industry bodies — Dairy Australia, Infant Nutrition Council
- Export dairy establishments
- Licensed exporters
- Department of Agriculture — Central and Regional offices
To notify manufacturers and exporters of halal dairy products to Malaysia that the Islamic Coordinating Council of Victoria (ICCV) has been re-instated by Malaysia’s Department of Islamic Development Malaysia (JAKIM).
Summary of key points
- This advice provides further information to MAA 2019-15 issued on 3 October 2019, which advised of the removal of the ICCV as a Malaysia recognised halal foreign certification body in Australia.
- The Department of Islamic Development Malaysia (JAKIM) has advised the Department of Agriculture of the reinstatement of the ICCV as a Malaysia recognised foreign Halal certification body in Australia, effective from 2 December 2019.
- The department reminds establishments that Malaysia requires all Halal ingredients to be certified by a JAKIM approved halal certifier, whether locally produced or imported. A list of JAKIM approved halal certifiers, by country, is available via www.halal.gov.my.
Transitional arrangements for establishments that have changed from ICCV to another Halal certifier
- JAKIM have advised that products in packaging bearing the ICCV logo, but certified by another JAKIM recognised and approved Halal certification body, will be eligible for import until 15 March 2020. The department encourages all exporters to work with their importer to ensure that product meets JAKIM’s requirements for packaging. Malaysian port officials may request information on how long ICCV labelled packaging will be used by individual producers.
- Exporters are advised to work closely with their importer to ensure all importing country requirements are met.
Contact ExportStandards@agriculture.gov.au if you have any queries.
The information provided in this advice is current at the time of writing and is intended for use as guidance only and should not be taken as definitive or exhaustive. The Commonwealth endeavours to keep information current and accurate, however, it may be subject to change without notice. Exporters are encouraged to verify these details with their importers prior to undertaking production/exports. The Commonwealth will not accept liability for any loss resulting from reliance on information contained in this notice.