Australian honey and China (2018-04)
Date of issue: 21 March 2018
Date of effect: Immediate
Reference Number: NPG 160318
- Australian Honey Bee Industry Association
- Honey producer-packers and beekeepers
- Exporters and freight agents
Overseas markets: China
To notify of recent market access issues relating to the export of Australian honey to China.
The Department of Agriculture and Water Resources is the central competent authority for the export of prescribed and non-prescribed goods.
For non-prescribed goods, the department issues export certificates in accordance with overseas country requirements.
The Chinese government has notified the department that consignments of Australian honey have been detected with American Foulbrood (AFB).
Australian honey producer-packers should ensure honey does not contain AFB when exporting to China.
- Regular sampling and laboratory testing of Australian honey for bee disease may support customer specifications or market access objectives.
- Certification to B-Qual or other independent standard/code of practice might compliment overseas market access requirements.
- Detection of AFB in honey may result in a Chinese authority suspending the Australian honey producer-packer.
Chinese import conditions for Australian honey visit https://micor.agriculture.gov.au/Pages/default.aspx
B-Qual visit http://bqual.com.au/
Establishments currently suspended by China AQSIQ Food Safety Bureau visit http://pub.fsciq.cn/approval/SitePages/fengchanpin.aspx
General questions about the export of non-prescribed goods email NPG Exports
The information provided above is current at the time of writing and is intended for use as guidance only and should not be taken as definitive or exhaustive. The Commonwealth endeavours to keep information current and accurate, however, it may be subject to change without notice. Exporters are encouraged to verify these details with their importers prior to undertaking production/exports. The Commonwealth will not accept liability for any loss resulting from reliance on information contained in this notice.