United Arab Emirates: New licensing and labelling requirements for juices and drinks sold in the UAE (2019-07)
Date of issue: 28 October 2019
Date of effect: Immediate
Reference Number: MAA2019-07
- Industries—Industry bodies – Australian Food and Grocery Council
- Department of Agriculture—Central and Regional offices
- To advise Australian grocery exporters that the United Arab Emirates (UAE) has introduced new controls on the sale and distribution of juice and drink products. The department understands that imported products must bear the Emirates Conformity Scheme (ECAS) Mark of Conformity prior to entering the UAE. This market access advice is to advise that active market surveillance is now in force.
Summary of key points
- The UAE Cabinet Decree No. 30 of 2018 on Regulations for Control on Juices and Drinks came into effect on 22 May 2019.
- The decree introduces a mandatory registration system for juices and drinks including fruit juices, juices with milk, flavoured artificial drink/powders and fresh fruit juice in the UAE. An official label confirming product registration - the ECAS Mark of Conformity- must be applied to products before import into the UAE.
- The department understands that imported products that do not bear the ECAS Mark of Conformity are not allowed to be distributed for sale in the UAE.
- Exporters are advised to work with their importers to ensure all imported product is in full compliance with UAE registration requirements.
- The decree does not affect other UAE requirements for imported foods, which includes export certification to facilitate import clearance of prescribed and some non-prescribed goods.
- Active market surveillance is now in force ensuring products conform with these requirements.
- Further information can be found in the Market Access Advice 2019-01 (MAA2019-01) or by contacting any of the ESMA-approved certification companies via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact Export Standards if you have any queries.
The information provided in this advice is current at the time of writing and is intended for use as guidance only and should not be taken as definitive or exhaustive. The Commonwealth endeavours to keep information current and accurate, however, it may be subject to change without notice. Exporters are encouraged to verify these details with their importers prior to undertaking production/exports. The Commonwealth will not accept liability for any loss resulting from reliance on information contained in this notice.