MAA 2020-12: China: Trade update: processed foods and honey (non-prescribed goods)
Date of issue: 6 November 2020
Date of effect: Immediate
Reference Number: MAA2020-12
- Industries - Industry Bodies – Australian Food and Grocery Council (AFGC), Australian Honey Bee Industry Council (AHBIC)
- Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment—Central and Regional offices
To notify exporters of recent clearance delays to shipments of Australian agricultural products at Chinese ports of entry.
Summary of key points
- The department will continue to provide certification for goods that meet the requirements of the Export Control Act and relevant importing country requirements. Exporters and manufacturers of non-prescribed goods for export are advised that some recent shipments have been delayed on entry into China, leading to commercial losses.
- While the department will continue to facilitate market access and seek to ensure importing country requirements are up to date and accurate, the department encourages exporters to fully consider their own risk and potential losses.
- Exporters should ensure that they have independently confirmed relevant importing country requirements. Exporters are urged to seek advice from importers on potential for disruption to the clearance of their shipments.
Further updates will be provided as information becomes available.
Contacting the Department
If you wish to contact the department on these issues, or if your consignment is detained, fails or receives an adverse inspection outcome and is rejected, please email the department, including all details, at
The information provided in this advice is current at the time of writing and is intended for use as guidance only and should not be taken as definitive or exhaustive. The Commonwealth endeavours to keep information current and accurate, however, it may be subject to change without notice. Exporters are encouraged to verify these details with their importers prior to undertaking production/exports. The Commonwealth will not accept liability for any loss resulting from reliance on information contained in this notice.