2016-38 - Horticulture Exports Program - New procedures for container seals and tapes for Japan and other protocol markets
22 June 2016
To advise industry of the new requirements for the provision of container seals and tapes required for Japan and other protocol export markets.
Export protocols and work plans outline a number of requirements to ensure the security and integrity of exported plants and plant products, including the placement of tapes within, or container seals on, containers.
For the export of citrus and table grapes to Japan, the container seals required are those provided and endorsed by the department.
For exports to other protocol markets, a variety of containers seals and tapes are required, which are not regulated or endorsed by the department.
Export Registered Establishment responsibilities
Japan container seals:
- Export registered establishments that require container seals for the export of citrus and table grapes to Japan can now order seals through the department’s North East Export Meat Staff Resources Unit in Brisbane using the attached order form.
- Completed order forms must be emailed to North East Export Meat Staff Resources Unit at North East Meat Stores (Telephone – (07) 3637 7737)
- Completed order forms must be signed by an authorised signatory of the registered establishment.
- Upon receipt of the seals, a copy of the processed order form must be signed by an authorised signatory and returned to the North East Export Meat Staff Resources Unit.
- Container seals are supplied in boxes of 200, however, fewer seals can be ordered if required.
- Seal and delivery costs are included as part of the Cost Recovery Framework charges.
- Departmental offices will keep a small number of seals to service ad hoc requests for seals from authorised officers.
- Japan container seals are an official seal and it is a departmental requirement that seals are:
- stored in a locked cabinet; and
- only to be used by the registered establishment that ordered the seals for the purpose of sealing containers for export to Japan.
- Each establishment must maintain a register or record of seal usage to show use of seals including the date, container number, RFP number and authorised officer details.
- This register and any unused or damaged/broken seals must be made available to departmental auditors on request.
All other seals and tapes:
- Export registered establishments that require container seals or tapes for exports to protocol countries other than Japan, must now source their own ensuring that they meet the requirements set out within the appropriate protocols and work plans.
Summary of changes and key points
- Container seals for citrus and table grape exports to Japan must be ordered by export registered establishments though the department using the attached form.
- Container seals and tapes required for other protocol markets must be sourced independently by export registered establishments.
If you have any questions regarding this IAN please email the Horticulture Exports Program Horticulture Exports Program ACT.
Dr Chris Parker
Plant Export Operations Branch