2017-13 - Grain and Seed Exports Program – Exporter and registered establishment lists for wheat and barley exports to China
21 April 2017
The purpose of this Industry Advice Notice (IAN) is to clarify some ambiguity and to remind exporters and registered establishments exporting wheat and barley to China that they must be registered with the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources (department) and with the General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine of Peoples Republic of China (AQSIQ).
Summary of changes and key points
- The current lists of Australian exporters and registered establishments that are registered with AQSIQ for the export of wheat and barley to China have been added to the protocols section of MICoR Plants
- Requests for registration with AQSIQ for the export of wheat and barley to China must be made to the Grain and Seed Exports Program (Grain Export) and must include details of either the exporter’s current EXDOC registration number or the registered establishment’s number
- The department will only provide AQSIQ with details of exporters and registered establishments that are consistent with departmental registration records
- The department only provides updated lists of Australian exporters and registered establishments for registration with AQSIQ on a quarterly basis or as requested by AQSIQ
The department has been made aware that some wheat and barley exports are occurring from establishments that are not currently registered with AQSIQ. There is some ambiguity in the protocol and inconsistency in the way it is enforced by China Inspection and Quarantine Services at different ports in China. The Protocol of phytosanitary requirements for Australian wheat and Barley imports into China indicates the department is required to maintain lists of registered establishments and exporters for the export of wheat and barley to China to ensure that they meet export requirements. To avoid complications at import the department provides these lists to AQSIQ and this information is then published on AQSIQ’s website.
Exporter and registered establishment responsibilities
- As per the Manual of Importing Country Requirements, exporters and registered establishments preparing wheat or barley for export to China for the first time must contact the department to ensure they are registered with AQSIQ prior to exporting wheat and barley to China.
- Exporters and registered establishments that are not currently registered with AQSIQ must advise the Grain and Seed Exports Program by Friday 28 April 2017 for inclusion in the next update to the registration lists. Failure to do so may result in delayed clearance or rejection of consignments by AQSIQ.
If you have any questions regarding this IAN please email: Grain Export or phone 02 6272 3229.
Dr Chris Parker
Plant Export Operations Branch