2017-27 - Authorised Officer Program – Revised instructional material within the Plant Export Operations Manual
1 August 2017
The purpose of this Industry Advice Notice (IAN) is to provide notice of upcoming changes to the instructional material on the Plant Export Operations Manual.
- Changes will be made over the next 12 months to the instructional material—Volumes, Guidelines, Work Instructions, References and Candidate advices—published on the Plant Export Operations Manual (PEOM).
- The location of the PEOM on the department’s website will not change.
- Reflective changes will also be made to the training and assessment material.
- Changes will affect all AO job functions.
- An Industry Advice Notice (IAN) will be issued to notify stakeholders of specific updates as they occur and their responsibilities in-line with the updated instructional material.
Instructional material has been prepared by the department and published on the PEOM to provide information that directs and supports AOs to understand and perform their job functions.
AOs are trained, assessed and audited against the policies, processes and procedures outlined in the instructional material published on the PEOM.
Guidelines contain the policy and processes that AOs must comply with when conducting phytosanitary inspections on behalf of the department.
Work instructions provide a step-by-step account of the activities an AO must undertake to correctly inspect plants and plant products on behalf of the department.
Reference material contains supporting information to further assist AOs to understand and perform their inspection tasks.
The department is revising this material to ensure that it is current and continues to meet the needs of its stakeholders.
Authorised officer responsibilities
In accordance with the deed of obligations, external AOs must perform services in accordance with the policies, processes and procedures outlined in the instructional material published on the PEOM.
As outlined in the Authorised Officer Audit and Performance Standards, AOs are required to have in their possession the most current versions of instructional material.
AOs must ensure that they keep up to date with the upcoming changes to the instructional material on the PEOM, so that they are always using the most up to date instructional materials.
Industry are encouraged to familiarise themselves with the updated instructional material to ensure they understand the policies, processes and procedures relating to the export of their commodities.
Industry must meet all of their obligations as outlined in the instructional material.
If you have any questions regarding this IAN please email the Plant Exports Information Management Team (with Plant Exports instructional material in the title).
A/g Assistant Secretary
Plant Export Operations Branch