2018-16 - Horticulture Exports Program – New market access for avocado fruit to Japan
22 May 2018
The purpose of this Industry Advice Notice (IAN) is to advise of the new protocol requirements for the export of fresh Hass avocado fruit to Japan.
Summary of changes and key points
- Avocadoes must only be sourced from officially recognised areas free from Queensland fruit fly: Western Australia, Riverland (South Australia) and Tasmania.
- Only fresh avocado (Persea americana) fruit of the ‘Hass’ cultivar are permitted to be exported to Japan.
- Only fresh avocado fruit meeting the “hard mature condition” can be packed for export to Japan.
- Growers and packhouses intending to export avocado to Japan must be accredited by the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources prior to export. An IAN calling for applications for accreditation will be released in the coming weeks.
- The MICoR case and protocol is available in MICoR Plants.
- In May 2018, Japan released a new protocol agreement for Hass avocado fruit to Japan.
- For further information, please refer to the relevant case in MICoR. The protocol is available in the ‘Documents' section in MICoR. To access this document you must be registered with MICoR Plants.
If you have any questions regarding this IAN please email Horticulture Exports.
Mr David Ironside
Plant Export Operations Branch