2018-56 - Biosecurity Policy and Response Branch – New air cargo screening requirement
19 November 2018
This Industry Advice Notice (IAN) is to notify exporters and registered establishments about the changes to air cargo security screening for all exports commencing on 1 March 2019.
Summary of changes and key points
- Changes to air cargo security will apply to all consignments exported from Australia by air regardless of destination, with a
new requirement for “piece-level screening”.
- If you currently export to the United States the new requirements mirror these.
- Please read the below Countdown Notice November 2018.
If you have difficulty accessing these files, please visit web accessibility.
- The Department of Agriculture and Water Resources and the Department of Home Affairs will continue to provide information about the changes as it is received.
The Department of Home Affairs is implementing the changes. This change is necessary to ensure that Australia is responding to the evolving terrorist threat.
Exporters and registered establishments responsibilities
We suggest you talk to your air cargo supply chain as soon as possible to understand the impact of the changes on your export business, and your options to reduce any negative impacts (such as potential delays or additional costs).
While the Department of Home Affairs is implementing the changes, we are looking to understand and support industry readiness. To assist us, we would be grateful if you could reply to us directly at HAengagement@agriculture.gov.au with answers to the following questions:
- Were you aware of these changes prior to reading the attached notice?
- Have you considered how the new security requirements can be managed along with any importing country requirements – such as shrink-wrapping or insect-proofing treated product?
- If yes, have you raised any concerns with the Department of Home Affairs (or your air cargo supply chain) and, if so, what are these concerns?
- If you have raised concerns, have they been resolved?
If you have any questions regarding this IAN please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1300 791 581.
It is important you raise any issues or concerns with the Department of Home Affairs as soon as possible, noting that the changes are being implemented from 1 March 2019.
You can also copy in the following email address (HAengagement@agriculture.gov.au).
Biosecurity Policy and Response Branch
Department of Agriculture and Water Resources