2019-15 - Plant Export Operations – United Kingdom departure from the European Union and the impact on export of plants and plant products
This Industry Advice Notice (IAN) is to advise that new arrangements may apply to the export of plants and plant products to the United Kingdom (UK) once the UK leaves the European Union (EU).
Summary of changes and key points
New arrangements may apply to the export of plants and plant products once the UK leaves the EU. In the event of a ‘no deal’ scenario, these arrangements will come into effect at 11pm, 12 April 2019, UK time. Those exporting plants and plant products to the UK are strongly advised to seek revised import conditions from their UK importer for product that will arrive in the UK on or after this date, as importing conditions may have changed.
If the UK leaves the EU without a Brexit deal, Council Directive 2000/29 and associated EU legislation will no longer apply to the UK. Instead, the requirements specified in the Plant Health (EU Exit) Regulations 2019 (as amended) and the equivalent Regulations in Scotland will apply, including those relating to the import of plants and regulated plants.
The relevant legislation can be accessed at:
- Draft Statutory Instruments 2019 No.000 Exiting the European Union, England and Wales Exiting the European Union, Northern Ireland Plant Health, England and Wales Plant Health, Northern Ireland The Plant Health (EU Exit) Regulations 2019 [PDF 917 KB, 212 pages]
- The Plant Health (Amendment) (England) (EU Exit) Regulations 2019
- The Animal Health, Plant Health, Seeds and Seed Potatoes (Amendment) (EU Exit) Regulations 2019
- The Forestry (EU Exit) (Scotland) (Amendment etc.) Regulations 2019
- The Plant Health (EU Exit) (Scotland) (Amendment etc.) Regulations 2019
Further information and guidance for businesses on changes to the UK’s import requirements in the event of a ‘no deal’ scenario - Importing and exporting plants and plant products if the UK leaves the EU without a deal.
Queries or questions should be directed to the UK’s IPPC Official Contact Point as outlined on the UK country profile page on the International Phytosanitary Portal.
Plant Export Operations Branch