2019-32 - Business Systems Program – Plant Export Management System updates
15 July 2019
This Industry Advice Notice (IAN) is to notify stakeholders of updates to the Plant Export Management System.
Summary of changes and key points
- Authorised Officers (AOs) are now able to validate container numbers for empty container, containerised goods and quality system recognition (QSR) inspections.
- A link to the Manual of Importing Country Requirements (MICoR) is provided, allowing AOs to validate additional declaration information.
- AOs are now able to record QSR inspections.
- AOs will now be notified by email when they are added to an inspection that they did not initiate.
- PEMS is now integrated with the department’s finance system (FMIS) to create automatic invoices, for commodity inspections completed by internal AOs, based on the time entry recorded.
- A number of defects that were identified for calibrations have been resolved.
- The PEMS user guides and appendices have been revised to reflect these updates.
PEMS is an IT system that is used to capture and store information relating to the export of plants and plant products from Australia; including plant product export inspection, in-transit cold treatment (ITCT) calibration results and transport units.
PEMS aims to streamline the plant export process for clients and external AOs by reducing the need to manually complete and submit inspection and calibration records, and associated supporting documentation.
In May 2019, PEMS was made available to all plant export external AOs, exporters, EDI users and registered establishment executives, across Australia. The system is supported with a suite of tools, including:
- user guides and factsheets, available on the Plant Export Management System webpage
- video tutorials, which will be available soon on LearnHub for AOs and on the Plant Export Management System webpage for other users.
The use of PEMS for the export of plants and plant products will be mandatory from May 2020 via direct use or system integration.
Further information about PEMS is available on the Plant Export Management System webpage.
If you have any questions regarding this IAN please email the PEMS Administrator.
Plant Export Operations Branch