Period: 2017 to 2027
Applies to: Australia
The National Aquaculture Strategy sets out how we will achieve the goal to double the current value of our aquaculture industry to $2 billion a year by 2027.
Achieving an aquaculture growth target of $2 billion a year by 2027 will require strong collaboration between aquaculture industry participants and Australian, state and territory governments.
The National Aquaculture Strategy details the actions government and industry need to take to meet this target.
We developed the strategy in consultation with industry, state and Northern Territory governments, identifying 8 priority areas to encourage new projects and grow existing businesses.
Priorities identified in the strategy:
- Regulatory framework — removing unnecessary burden on business.
- Research, development and extension — maximising the benefits of innovation.
- Market access — developing and improving access to domestic and international markets.
- Biosecurity — understanding and managing risks to protect Australia’s aquaculture.
- Public perception — improving knowledge of aquaculture as a safe and sustainable industry.
- Environmental performance — identifying opportunities to adopt cost-effective strategies.
- Investment — encouraging and promoting investment in our aquaculture industry.
- Training and education — ensuring future employment needs are met.
Case studies in the strategy provide examples of how we can create industry growth and overcome challenges to aquaculture in Australia.
Read the strategy
|National Aquaculture Strategy PDF||40||1.76 MB|
|National Aquaculture Strategy DOCX||40||3.37 MB|
If you have difficulty accessing these files, visit web accessibility for assistance.
- Check your relevant state or territory government website for information on aquaculture regulations, licensing and permits, and industry support.
- Find out about current aquaculture research, development and extension activities, coordinated in Australia by the Fisheries Research and Development Corporation (FRDC).
Follow our activities
In response to this strategy, a number of activities are underway or have been completed.
Learn how the strategy was developed
In the 2014 National Aquaculture Statement, government and industry committed to developing a National Aquaculture Strategy.
To develop this new strategy, we consulted with more than 100 stakeholders including:
- environmental non-government organisations
- indigenous committees
- industry bodies and operators
- research bodies
- state and territory governments.
Priority areas that we have identified in the strategy were based on the feedback we received during this consultation.
Aquaculture Strategy, email form, phone 1800 900 090 or + 61 3 8318 6700 from outside Australia.