The department offers a free Seafood Exporter Facilitator (SEF) service to the seafood export industry.
The SEF provides one-on-one support to existing export registered establishments as well as potential exporters that are seeking to become export registered. Get in touch if you need a helping hand!
Our SEFs are experts in their field! Some of our SEFs have worked in the industry for over 20 years; on fishing vessels, in processing establishments, as auditors, HACCP training facilitators, and in the government creating export legislation. If anyone can help, it’s them!
What support is provided by the SEF?
The SEF is a central point of contact for stakeholders to discuss export issues and is available via email, phone, video call, or face-to-face meetings where possible.
A range of short video resources which step through some frequently asked questions are on the seafood video resources web page.
What support is available to new export establishments?
The approval process to become export registered can seem complicated and time-consuming. The SEF can provide support by assisting new applicants to understand:
- the process to become export registered
- what you are required to document in an approved arrangement
- any technical components that will be reviewed at audit (such as the details of a HACCP plan, and structural, hygiene and storage requirements)
- any importing country requirements that you may need to consider.
What do I need to do before applying for registration?
The SEF service is free! To avoid unnecessary charges and delays we recommend that you contact the SEF before submitting a registration application (EX26a) so that:
- You can confirm if export registration is required for your operations, and what documentation you will need to prepare and submit as part of your application.
- You are aware of the application costs – see our charging guidelines to register a fish establishment.
- You understand the consideration period – the department will process your application within 120 days of receival, provided that you have supplied all the required information.
What is the support available to existing registered establishments?
The SEF can also provide guidance to existing export registered establishments. The SEF can help you with:
- understanding Australia’s legislative requirements
- adding new products and/or export operations
- adding new country listings
- understanding how export listing for importing countries works
- making variations to your registration or approved arrangement and when this is required
- understanding new markets and their importing country requirements.
We have heard your feedback! To make things easier to understand, our Seafood Export Facilitators are recording a range of short videos to help current and new exporters. If there is something you need more information on and we don’t have a video for it send us a quick email and let us know.
You can also contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 0466 350 180.
What are the services outside of the scope?
The SEF cannot assess components of your approved arrangement or advise if they will be compliant at audit. You will need to work with your auditor for this part of the process.