Director Engagement and International Plant Health
Dr Sophie Peterson is the Director of the Pacific Engagement and International Plant Health section your first point of contact for Pacific Island Countries and Territories (PICTs) plant and plant health issues. Sophie’s role is to put the right people in contact with each other.
The Pacific Engagement and International Plant Health section coordinates and supports our engagement in:
- International Plant Protection Convention (IPPC)
- Pacific Plant Protection Organisation (PPPO)
- Asia and Pacific Plant Protection Commission (APPPC).
- act as Australia’s contact in the IPPC
- manage Australia’s involvement in international plant health initiatives
- support Australia’s representatives to international fora
- deliver the International Plant Health Surveillance Program in Solomon Islands, PNG and Timor-Leste
- put in place initiatives to improve the surveillance and diagnostic capabilities of near neighbour countries.
Email Sophie at email@example.com for any plant health related matters.
Australian Chief Plant Protection Officer (ACPPO)
Our ACPPO is Dr Gabrielle Vivian-Smith. She represents and advises the Australian Government on Australia’s plant health status and its supporting systems.
The ACPPO is Australia’s official contact point for the International Plant Protection Convention and the Commission of Phytosanitary Measures and represents Australia at the Plant Health Quadrilaterals and the Euphresco network.
The ACPPO leads our work on strengthening regional plant health and biosecurity systems as part of the department’s Pacific Engagement Program.
ACPPO represents Australia in the Pacific Plant Protection Organisation (PPPO) and the Asia and Pacific Plant Protection Commission (APPPC).