2014-03 Approval of premises for the pre export isolation of livestock by air
9 April 2014
All livestock exported by air
All importing countries requiring pre export isolation (PEI)
- Department of Agriculture regional managers
- Department of Agriculture Live Animal Exports officers
- Livestock exporters
- Operators of regularly used pre export isolation premises for the export of livestock by air
To remind licensed livestock exporters and pre-export isolation premises operators of the requirements for approval of pre-export isolation premises for the export of livestock by air.
Under the Export Control (Animals) Order 2004 (the Order), where pre-export isolation (PEI) is a requirement of the importing country, exporters are required to submit notices of intention to export (NOIs) at least 10 working days prior to the commencement of the scheduled PEI.
The PEI premises must be approved prior to the commencement of isolation and prior to approval of the NOI otherwise any isolation undertaken may not contribute to PEI or be considered eligible to meet the importing country’s requirements.
Under the Order, PEI premises for the export of livestock by air may be approved only for the period of preparation required in relation to a particular NOI. This means approval has to be provided for every NOI regardless of the history of the premises. Unlike for premises registered for the export of livestock by sea, the Department of Agriculture cannot issue a general approval to any premises for livestock by air for a given period of time (e.g. for a 6 or 12 month period).
Note that the department does not necessarily have to conduct an inspection for each NOI in order to approve the PEI premises for that NOI.
- For markets where the importing country requirements require PEI, exporters are required to submit an NOI for the export of livestock by air on TRACE, at least 10 working days prior to the scheduled commencement of PEI.
- The NOI application acts an application for approval of the PEI premises.
- The Department of Agriculture checks the importing country requirements to confirm any additional specific importing country requirements in relation to the PEI premises.
- The relevant Department of Agriculture regional office considers the nominated PEI premises for approval, and advises central office when the premises has been formally approved for that NOI. This may require an on-site inspection of the premises by a Department of Agriculture officer.
- Commencement of PEI can only occur once the premises has been approved for the period of preparation required for the particular NOI.
- This process must be repeated for every NOI for export of livestock by air, where PEI is required.
Animal Export Operations Branch
Contact officer: Tim Naylor / Suzanne Payne
Ph: (02) 6272 4581
Fax: (02) 6272 5423
Email livestock exports