We participate in the Indigenous Apprenticeships Program (IAP).
This program supports First Nations people to start their career in the Australian Public Service (APS).
How it works
The program runs for 12 months. On completion you’ll have:
- a permanent full-time job at the APS 3 level
- tailored support to help you thrive
- a Diploma in Government.
The IAP is run by Services Australia.
We place Indigenous apprentices in many areas of our department. This includes:
- Regulation and compliance – assess goods coming into the country to prevent damaging pests and diseases from crossing our border.
- Corporate support – specialist skills in IT, finance and human resources to support our department to thrive.
- Administration – manage records and information that we rely on to make decisions and deliver our frontline services.
- Policy – develop ideas for laws and funding to keep our lands, seas and waters sustainable.
- Program management – collaborate with communities and businesses to make sure things are working well on the ground.
We have offices around the country. We’ll find a location that suits you.
Support and benefits
We support our apprentices right throughout their careers with us.
Our Entry Programs team will support you throughout the program. You’ll also get a First Nations mentor and buddy, who will help you settle into your new job.
As your career grows, you’ll have access to scholarships, awards and training. You’ll also be eligible for mainstream and Indigenous specific programs and awards.
Grow your career while having a direct impact on the wellbeing of Country. We prioritise First Nations perspectives in our work.
Grow your career with us.
Nominate the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry as your preferred agency.
Apply for the Indigenous Apprenticeship Program via Services Australia.
See more about the Indigenous Apprenticeship Program (APS Jobs website).
To talk to someone about our programs, email firstname.lastname@example.org.