2024 Graduate Applications for the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry’s 2024 Graduate Development Program open on Monday 6 March 2023.
What to expect
As one of our graduates, you will make a valuable contribution to protecting Australia’s natural resources, developing strong agricultural industries and delivering policies and programs for a strong economy. The work we do today, matters for tomorrow.
Our 12-month Graduate Program will:
- develop your existing knowledge and skills
- enhance your confidence in the workplace
- kick start a rewarding career in the Australian Public Service
Our graduates start as full-time, permanent employees at the APS 3 level. On successful completion of the program, we will assess you for advancement to the APS 4 or APS 5 level.
Read more about terms and conditions of employment.
Why join our department?
Whatever your skills and expertise, the work you undertake during your graduate program will contribute directly to the future of our nation and our key priorities to:
- Biosecurity - strengthening our national biosecurity system to provide an appropriate level of protection to Australia’s people, our environment and economy from the biosecurity threats of today and tomorrow.
- Resilience and sustainability - increasing the contribution agriculture, forestry and fisheries make to a healthy, sustainable and low emissions environment.
- Industry growth - supporting industry to grow toward a $100 billion agriculture, fisheries and forestry industry by 2030 amid changing global market conditions.
Who are we looking for?
We’re looking for graduates from a wide range of disciplines, including (but not limited to) agricultural and environmental sciences, policy and government, international relations, veterinarians, legal studies, finance, resource economics, data and digital.
Our commitment to diversity
It’s well known that our best assets are our people. Our differences enhance our work, providing new vantage points to problem solve and to deliver for our fellow Australians. It is important for us to accurately represent the vast diversity of our people, from our backgrounds, cultures, identities, and lives outside of work, to our work itself. Our better together suite of videos highlights our commitment to fostering an inclusive culture, where everyone feels safe to be themselves at work.
Who can apply
- be an Australian citizen or have been granted citizenship prior to 1 January 2024
- have completed a bachelor’s degree (or higher qualification), before the start of the 2024 program.
How to apply
Apply for the 2024 Graduate Development Program
In 2024, most of our recruitment will be through the Australian Government Graduate Program. You can learn more about the different streams by clicking through the links below:
- Generalist Stream
- Digital Stream
- Data Stream
- Legal Stream
- STEM Stream
- HR Stream
- Economist Stream
- Accounting and Financial Management Stream
- Indigenous Graduate Pathway
We will be running separate recruitment for graduate positions for those interested in working with Australian Bureau of Agriculture and Resource Economics and Science (ABARES), and those licensed and registered in Australia to work as a veterinarian. Details of how to apply for these streams are listed below:
Find out more
We believe that our Graduate Development Program provides our graduates with a fantastic insight to the work of the department, and the different directions a career in the agriculture portfolio can take you. We’re looking forward to receiving your applications for our 2024 program!
Have more questions? Please email us: email@example.com
Stay up to date on what’s happening in the department (including our graduate recruitment) by following our social media channels: