Find out if you need to register your establishment for export.
Export requirements vary depending on the products you manufacture. Your establishment will need to be export registered if you are manufacturing dairy products that are prescribed goods.
A dairy product is defined as a prescribed good if it meets these 3 conditions:
- dairy as the major ingredient
- manufactured in Australia
- intended for human consumption
- cream, dairy based dips
- milk, milk powder and milk powder blends
See our list of dairy product codes.
Dairy Non-prescribed goods can include:
- products obtained from a cow for animal consumption
- products obtained from a cow for human consumption where dairy is
- not the major ingredient (by weight or volume), or
- the major ingredient, but it is not like a prescribed dairy product, for example ice-cream, cheesecake, custard, colostrum
- from an animal other than a cow, including sheep, goat, buffalo, camel
- any dairy product destined for New Zealand.
There may be some exceptions. Some overseas countries require establishments to be export registered, even for what we consider non-prescribed goods. You must always check Micor.
To export non-prescribed goods, please click here for more information.
See more about prescribed and non-prescribed dairy products.
How do you know if you need to be export registered?
This decision tree will help you understand the process of export registration.
Your product’s definition will determine if you are required to apply for export registration.
In most cases, if your product is to be exported to New Zealand, you are not required to be export registered, however, if you wish to export to other countries, you will need to be registered for export.
If your products are meant for human consumption and the main ingredient is dairy, sourced from cow’s milk, you will need to register to export your products.
For further guidance, you can complete the questionnaire to help you determine if you need to be registered for export.
The questionnaire will also help you to determine what is needed if your products are not for human consumption, non-dairy, and/or not sourced from cow’s milk.
If you have questions that are not answered here, we’d love to hear from you. Contact us and we’ll be in touch.
Find out what you need
Use this questionnaire to find out if your establishment requires export registration.