2021-04 - Plant Export Operations – Updated manual inspection and treatment record templates for the commencement of the new export legislation
10 February 2021
This Industry Advice Notice (IAN) is to advise that the manual inspection and treatment record templates are being updated in preparation for the commencement of the Export Control Act 2020 (the Act) and its subordinate legislation on 28 March 2021 (commencement).
Summary of changes and key points
- In preparation for the commencement of the Act and the Export Control (Plants and Plant Products) Rules 2021 (Plant Rules), manual inspection and treatment record templates are being updated as outlined in the below table.
- Inspections and treatment outcomes must continue to be lodged through the Plant Export Management System (PEMS), unless an exception such as a system outage applies (see IAN 2021-02 for further information on the PEMS mandate). The manual inspection and treatment records are to be used only when such exceptions apply.
- The new inspection and treatment records will come into effect from commencement.
- The new inspection and treatment records must not be used prior to commencement.
|Current name||New name|
|PE100 Export Compliance Record||Grain and Plant Product Inspection Record|
|PE101 Export Compliance Record||Horticulture Inspection Record|
|PE102 Export Compliance Record||Bulk into Ship Hold Inspection Record|
|PE103 Bulk Vessel Approval Record||Bulk Vessel Inspection Record|
|PE104 Container Approval Record||Empty Container Inspection Record|
|PE105 Bulk Vessel Loading Running Record||Bulk Vessel Loading Running Record|
|Certificate of loading and calibration record for an in-transit cold treatment||Same|
|Onshore cold treatment record||Same|
|Vapour heat treatment record||Same|
|Vapour heat treatment sensor calibration record||Same|
- Minor changes have been made to some records to ensure that the manual inspection and treatment records, and PEMS align.
- For inspection records, changes also include the names of the documents, updates to the legislative references and the exporter note at the end of the records.
- The updates to the manual inspection and treatment record templates does not change the PEMS mandate which was implemented on 1 February 2021.
- The current agricultural export legislation is due to expire on 1 April 2021. Consequently, the department is developing improved agricultural export legislation for Australia.
- The Plant Rules are subordinate to the Act and make provisions that are specific to plant and plant product exports.
- A range of instructional material, forms and departmental systems are being updated to support the commencement of the Act and Plant Rules.
Third party system vendor responsibilities
- Vendors must update their manual inspection and treatment record templates to take effect from 3:00am AEDT on 28 March 2021.
Authorised officer responsibilities
- PEMS will be updated to reflect the new inspection and treatment record details (excluding Vapour heat treatment) on 28 March 2021.
- PEMS must be used to lodge inspection and treatment records unless an exception applies, such as a system outage.
- When an exception applies, Commonwealth, State and Territory government, and third-party Authorised Officers (AOs) must use the new manual record templates for all inspections and treatments completed from commencement. The manual records will be published and made available on the Plant Export Operations Manual website from commencement.
- Due to transitional provisions in the new export legislation, any inspection records or treatment records that have been issued by an AO in the old template prior to commencement (and that have not expired), will continue to be accepted by the department after commencement for the purpose of export certification.
If you have any questions regarding this IAN please email Plant Export Reform.
A/g Assistant Secretary
Plant Export Operations Branch