Agriculture is central to the strength of our economy. We export two thirds of Australia's agricultural products every year.
We are striving to strengthen our agricultural exports. One way of achieving this is through the Modernising Agricultural Trade program. This program will update the systems that support agricultural trade and improve how we regulate this trade.
This program will benefit farmers and producers. An initial investment of $32.4 million over a period of 4 years has been committed, beginning in 2018-19. This is an Australian Government initiative.
The volume of exported goods is increasing. Our trading partners want information on food safety and the origin of the product.
The program has three themes:
- protecting Australia’s clean, green brand
- better information for exporters
- Information Communication Technology (ICT) modernisation.
Protecting Australia’s clean, green brand
Projects under this theme include:
- provide more regional assurance managers to help exporters meet regulatory requirements.
- improve export traceability by
- improving the National Livestock Identification Scheme
- rolling out property identification codes for plant-based industries
- awarding grants for projects that enhance supply chain traceability systems and arrangements
- engagement with the Association of the Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) member states.
Better information for exporters
- improve and update Manual of Importing Country Requirements.
Over 80,000 content updates have been made to Micor between July 2019 and October 2021 including the addition of a new section for Organics.
Significant improvements have been made in response to user feedback.
The new enhanced search functions make it easier to find relevant requirements.
The Micor Update Service and “show changes” enhancements help exporters and producers keep on top of changes to importing country requirements.
A new user interface made Micor easier to use and available on tablets and smart phones.
We also made it easy for Micor users to identify errors and suggest content changes to the department.
- develop and expand NEXDOC.
- We are seeking funding to deliver responsive, secure and reliable ICT systems.
Email Trade modernisation